- Less than one half of a percent of water on earth is available fresh water. The rest is ocean, or frozen in ice caps.
- More than a billion people lack access to safe drinking water, and more than 2.4 billion people lack adequate sanitation.
- More than five million people, most of them children, die each year from illnesses caused from drinking unsafe water.
- Global consumption of water is doubling every 20 years, more than twice the rate of human population growth.
- If current trends persist, by 2025 the demand for freshwater is expected to rise to 56 percent above the amount that is currently available - which will result in as much as 2/3 of the world population unable to access to clean water.
- The privatization of water industry is already a 400 billion dollar a year business globally - one third larger than global pharmaceuticals.
- In the U.S. alone, private water corporations generate revenues of more than a billion US dollars a year - four times the annual sales of Microsoft.
- Ten corporate giants are vying for control of water - The top three are French companies, a US, German and five of UK origin.
- Four of the top ten water companies are ranked among the 100 largest corporations in the world by the Global Fortune 500.
Water, Public Misery
Water is Good Business For Water Companies
Billions Likely to Suffer
Water Shortages from Melting Glaciers
Hindustan Lever Enters
Can Privatisation Plug
India's Leaking Bucket?
Water: A Life and